Disadvantage of Low Power
|Disadvantage of Low Power Factor|
Cause of low power factor
- Transformers , generator and chocks are inductive loads which causes the current to lag behind the voltage. i.e., they operate at a lagging power factor . However , at normal loads , the magnetising current does not effect and lowers the power factor.
- The motors which are used in industries are mostly induction motors having inductive loads, which have low power factor . Normally the power factor of induction motors varies from 0.8 to 0.85
- Arc laps , heating furnaces ( Induction and are furnaces also operate at low power factor (lagging)
What are the disadvantage of low power Factor
- Large conductor size : To transmit or distribute a fix amount of power at a fixed voltage at low power factor , the conductor will have to carry larger current which will necessitate a large conductor size.
- Large Copper Losses : Due to more current carried by the conductor , large copper losses
- Poor Voltage Regulation : Due to power factor and increased currents, the voltage drop in transformers , alternators and transmission/ distribution lines is higher which results in poor voltage regulation
- Large KVA rating of the equipment : the output power of electrical machines e.g. alternators and transformers is always rated in apparent power
- Poor Efficiency : Due to the low power factor efficiency of all our system is decreased .